Back to Trials & Results
Ostrich Rearing Trials
A farmer rears 2000 young ostriches per year from 3 days old till 4 months. After 4 months the ostriches go to the growing farm. The farmer takes care of the total management of the young ostriches: feed, housing and medicines. For this the farmer receives R13,50 per kg delivered weight at 4 months.
Mr Andre Pretorius, owner of Boland Organic Solutions cc. and distributor for Vossen Laboratories advised the farmer to use Vita (Cow) to add in the drinking water 3 times a week. This with the aim to improve weight gain and healthier animals.
There was a control group of 180 animals and 167 in the test group.
In total they received 66 ml Vita per animal, around 1,5 ml 3 times per week via the drinking water.
Other positive contributions:
- more uniform in size and bodyweight
- less mortality (10% more mortality in control: death and not acceptable)
- test group did eat ground etc. , which shows that Vita gave more satisfactory feed regime
All persons involved:
Rearer, Supplier and Grower were very satisfied and will continue this on the total farm.
They also will implement Bio D one time per week in this program to stimulate total feed digestion and limit risks around feed changes, transport etc.
Program For Ostrich Chickens
From day 3 – 120
Week 1 – Week 41 ml / day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)= 12 ml / chicken
Week 5 – Week 81,5 ml / day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)= 18 ml / chicken
Week 9 – Week 122 ml / day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)= 24 ml / chicken
Total:54 ml / chicken
- Vita to be applied for 10 hours / day via drinking water.
- On Wednesday, add 1 ml of Bio D with Vita Cow.
- increase health
- increase the metabolism (bird do not eat ground)
- increase in weight